Perfunctory Prayer
As a woman of faith I believe there to be an undeniable call to the people of God to pray. 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 (ESV) reads "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." We see the examples of the prophets, the disciples, Jesus, and other believers praying fervently.I don't think I am the only one who wakes up each day, gets showered, dressed, eats, and brushes their teeth. Next, either heading out for work or starting tasks at home. Nothing wrong with this routine. Yet, something is missing. Prayer. Why didn't I begin my day with praying for God to guide me, use me, HELP me? Because I get lazy. Because my faith gets weak. Because I believe that my mundane daily routine and chores will get accomplished just fine without asking for God to supernaturally sustain me. These attitudes are wrong.
I learned the word "perfunctory" during a family devotion time with our pastor's family last week that was actually about our approach to Bible study. It is an adjective defined by Webster as lacking in interest or enthusiasm. When I heard out pastor's words I knew it described my attitude towards prayer, also. As I pondered on this I felt sad.
Folks, I want to say that failing to pray is setting ourselves up for failure. If we neglect to acknowledge our Lord and Provider first thing in the morning then we allow ourselves to forget His loving, sovereign hand in our lives. We may become blind to His blessings. We may even become arrogant, boasting in our own ability to manage "life".
That night I felt a renewed desire to pray. So, I endeavored to pray each day and night about what my plans are, however simple, and what my hopes are, however improbable. I encourage you to do the same. We may do this less than perfectly, or we might fail, but I want us to pray about that as well, and to solicit the prayers of others, too.
I'd like to let you know about how this goes for me in future posts.
I agree, it's so easy for it to become something we don't look forward to or see the important meaning of!! It's like anything else though, when we make it a habit by doing it whether we "feel" like it or not then we will start to find it becomes easier with time (although it's still very easy to stop and get lazy again!) =)
ReplyDeleteThis post just opened up my eyes.
ReplyDelete